Friday 14 March 2008

UNPLEASANT DEMONSTRATION IN PENANG

I was down in Prangin Mall doing some shopping when I received a call from my Dad saying that there was a protest demonstration down in Komtar. Surprisingly, I did not feel any threats at all as everything in the mall seemed to be normal. When I left the mall around 2.30pm, I saw that there was a crowd gathering in front of Starbuck shouting “Merdeka!” This was the first time I saw so many people gathered in front of the Chief Minister’s office building in protest on his decision towards the New Economic Policy (NEP).

There were many policemen and Federal Reserve Unit (FRU) personnel surrounding the mall area barricading some of the major roads. The traffic was rather chaotic. There were even two helicopters flying over the building to inspect the situation. Tensions began to grow as most of the Prangin Mall area roads were filled with swarms of people. Luckily there were no unwanted incidents when the crowd dispersed hours later. Here are some of the shots of the gathering below.

 PGRALLY01

 PGRALLY02

 PGRALLY03

 PGRALLY04

 PGRALLY05

 PGRALLY06

 PGRALLY07

2 comments:

Deana said...

Man, be careful okay? That looks pretty scary. I will pray for your safety there.

Everyday Healy said...

great shot! Especially the one on the big crowd. I wonder where are you standing?
Once my hubby called me up to tell me what's going on in the town, I quickly go shopping, buy lots of maggie mee and can food. I am afraid that it gone serious, then we need to be quarantine. hahaha....

Blog Widget by LinkWithin